Saturday, July 10, 2010

In the Jungle



Yellow Jungle 2010
8-1/4" x 11"
monotype, collage, colored pencil

This piece is the final one of a group of three new pieces that follow closely the work I was doing in the Fables series in 2009 (the entire Fables series can be seen on my website, www.diannemartinart.com). Sometimes an artist mines a certain "field" for a while and keeps getting called back to it even when it seems to have run its course. After doing the Fables series, I took a break from studio work for a while, traveled to Sicily and spent time relaxing over the holidays. When I sluggishly got back to the studio in later January, these images of jungles mysteriously appeared. Perhaps it was the winter and a yearning for some heat, twittering and sun baked hills.

Now that I look at this piece on one of the hottest days of the year, I somehow find it oddly comforting. This jungle is warm but not oppressive, I think. I hope you'll find it full of song and life.

No comments: